None but men of strong passion are capable of rising up to greatness.
There are good leaders and there are great leaders.
Good leaders know they must prepare themselves, better themselves, make changes, and keep growing. The leader’s desire for change will determine the level of leadership achieved.
Greatness, in the last analysis, is largely due to bravery and courage in escaping from old ideas, old standards, and a mere respectable way of doing things. Here are five facts about great leaders.
1. Great leaders are always growing and reaching to improve their leadership. Take responsibility for your own failures as well as successes. If you keep learning, you will improve, and your leadership will get better.
2. Great leaders are pushing the boundary lines to move beyond what is normal or usual. Leaders are pioneers. They venture into unexplored territory and guide to new and often unfamiliar destinations.
3. Great leaders are risk-takers. They reject the maintenance mentality and take risks from strength, preparing thoroughly, understanding what is at stake, and marching forward with confidence. It is never too late to be what you might have become!
4. Great leaders are resource finders and releasers. They have built a leadership pipeline that finds potential leaders, trains them, and releases them to greater levels of ministry.
5. Great leaders are future-focused and dedicated to do whatever it takes to get there. Their faith capacity has increased to believe that God will provide all that is necessary as the need arises. Their people capacity is increased so that getting along with and caring for people is at the leader’s heart.
The heart for people and faith in God’s ability gives the great leader strong confidence to focus on the vision and devote his resources to seeing that vision through to its completion.
It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, but it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. Take the challenge to move from being a good leader to a great one and expand your leadership capacity.
For more on becoming a great leader, please see the message, “Good to Great,” available at our store. We also recommend the message, “Keeping the Pipeline Full,” which talks about finding, training, and releasing developing leaders. Please click here to go to our store and find more leadership resources.